As a number of you might know I’m not only a large fan of gaming on original systems but also want to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I understand many purists will soon be hitting the back button at disgust — however I am of the opinion that emulation has a location in every retro gamer’s lifestyle. Emulation allows you to encounter games in near pixel-perfection you could not ever be able to manage or find and from a historical standpoint it is an excellent way to record and catalog names which would otherwise evaporate.
My selection of emulation tool is a self-modded first (some call it’classic’ today ) Microsoft XBox. I’ve been asked on many occasions about how to mod an XBox and what exactly a modded XBox is, so within this series of posts I will reveal to you the abilities of my 2 components and explain to you just how to begin getting your ownpersonal.read about it xbox 360 roms from Our Articles
I chose to use this particular hardware after stumbling across websites run by enthusiasts and finding how enormous the XBox mod landscape is and exactly what a capable machine they’re for emulation functions. Virtually every emulator ever created was ported to XBox and in most cases continues to be improved still further by enthusiasts with the addition of video sets and artwork. Of course you can use an XBox as a fantastic networked Media Centre and it does a lot more things apart from but since this is RGC I will focus on the topic of retro computer and console emulation.
1. The XBox is relatively easy to mod your self (soft-modding a standard 8gb XBox takes moments once you know how and have the tools/software)
2. The device fits under your telly, unlike a PC
3. A timeless XBox is cheap, I noticed them being sold using a control for #14.99 lately at my local GameStation. EBay is another good supply of cheap XBoxes.
5. Contrary to an Xbox 360, the first Xbox is very reliable — almost bombproof. The programmer scene is still going strong and new versions of hot emulators are published weekly
A modded XBox also has the following advantages:
3. You can upgrade your HDD into something larger
4. You can save your DVD films and matches to a HDD and play out there (faster loading times)
5. Capability to work with a mouse and keyboard (great for those point and click adventure titles)
6. Massive development scene leading to countless flashed emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable over LAN with some other devices you’ve
8. Great alternative to your PC at a House arcade cabinet installment
9. Once the HDD is upgraded they make adequate Network Media Centres (XBMC)